It’s nothing to be surprised about that when a new console launches, the company is already looking to the future for their next piece of hardware. So, when Gamnesia wrote an article about Nintendo hiring hardware architects, it's enough to set the rumour mill going on overtime. They could of course be working on anything at this point, however, with the openings asking for a focus on power and performance, there is a strong chance that we are looking at something serious here.
Description of Duties
- Evaluate HW graphics (GPU) offerings from SoC solutions available in the market based on performance, power, and silicon area.
- Evaluate the performance of the SoC solutions for both proprietary and standard graphics APIs.
- Determine workloads and simulation models for both performance and power characteristics of GPUs.
- Keep track of GPU architectural improvements in the industry and devise strategies to incorporate them for future Nintendo gaming platforms.
- Act as the graphics architectural evangelist working with global Nintendo teams for future and on-going programs.
- Work with external SoC vendors as the Nintendo focal point for graphics GPU architecture.
- Should be prepared to work through architecture, design, validation, and bring-up stages of SoC design in cooperation with internal and external teams.
Summary of Requirements
- The ideal candidate will have had experience working directly in a GPU architecture and design team with significant responsibilities.
- Low power and SoC design experience would be a plus.
- The candidate is expected to have good architectural insights and the ability to apply that for setting future graphics direction for Nintendo.
- A bachelors degree (graduate degree preferred) in computer science/engineering or electrical engineering.
- 5+ years of lead or architectural role experience are required.
To begin with (and I can’t stress this enough) any future console needs to be, spec wise, as powerful if not exceeding that of its competitors. Architecture, CPU, GPU and memory all need to be on par with Ninty's competitors. The Wii U, despite being the first console of the new generation to be released, has always suffered due to its lack of power, and that has cost the company in its sales..
So basically Nintendo needs to sort out big third party support to give them a real edge. Combining big titles such as Destiny, Assassins Creed and Far Cry with the legendary names Nintendo own? Well that would be fantastic.
These are the three main aspects I feel are important for the Big N in order for them to return as a powerful force in the next console war. I’m excited to see what comes of it, and if they're seriously looking to get a head start in the race like they did with the Wii U we may well see something very special in a few years time. All I hope is that Nintendo has learned from the mistakes it’s had with the Wii U and move on to creating a real competitor.
Anyone else really wishing they could apply?
Otherwise we are pretty damn excited about this. It's about time Nintendo took centre stage again, and maybe, just maybe, they'll do it again.... well probably not. But we can dream.
Got any hopes for the future of Nintendo? Let us know in the comments below!